- City Administration address:
Linnu 2, 71020 Viljandi
Local government – Viljandi linnavalitsus
Phone: (+372) 435 4710
Email: [email protected]
- Area 14.6 km², population 16 899.
- Types of buildings: from the 18th and 19th century timber housing to the Soviet era apartment blocks (not only in concrete panel, but also in brick that look nicer) to modern villas with a lake view
- Renting price avg: €250-300 per month
- Buying price avg: €1047 per square meter
- Your typical neighbor: all types of people, young families and working class to college students and office workers
- Why Viljandi? Small and beautiful, in the middle of rye fields lies a town that is easily walkable and bicycle-friendly. Fresh air and lakeside walks guarantee a relaxed atmosphere.
- History brief: The first recorded stronghold dates back to 1154 A.D., but it could be even older. Viljandi was a Hanseatic trade town during the middle ages. Fortunately the world wars did not harm the town much. Today, light industries as well as agriculture are the town’s lifeblood.
- Key center: Town Square and ruins of the medieval castle
- Special events: The crown jewel is the Viljandi Folk Music Festival where international traditional music bands, musicians and choirs step up coming from all over the world.