- City Administration address:
Tallinna 10, Kuressaare 93819
Phone: (+372) 452 5000
Email: [email protected]
- Area 15.0 km², population 12.698.
- Types of buildings: from the medieval limestone castle to 19th century timber housing to the Soviet era apartment blocks to a few modern detached houses with sea view
- Renting price avg: €200 to 250 per month
- Buying price avg: €959 per square meter
- Your typical neighbor: quiet and relaxed islanders, entrepreneurs, shopkeepers, officials, young and not so young families, pensioners
- Why Kuressaare? The capital of the largest island of Estonia is a small town with big ideas. Some of the most remarkable polymer boat industry leaders come from here, shipping industry and sea trade is a big thing in this small town. Daily flights from Tallinn to Kuressaare give it a good connection to the other European cities.
- History brief: First mentioned in 1154 on Arab maps, this town has been living its own life as wars have not affected the island as much as they have done on the mainland. It still feels that life is slower and has a more human touch in Kuressaare than on the mainland. Highly recommended for families that like to take it slow and have a pristine sea/forest close by.
- Key center: The medieval Kuressaare Castle and Town Hall Square with a grocery market next to it
- Special events: Excellent spas await visitors year around. The Saaremaa Opera Days in July. The Kuressaare Maritime Festival in August and the Saaremaa Food Festival in September. The Saaremaa Rally in every October.