- City Administration address:
Posti 34, 90504 Haapsalu
Phone: (+372) 472 5300
Email: [email protected]
- Area 11 km², population 9.513.
- Types of buildings: mostly timber buildings from the 19th and 20th century, also a few Soviet era apartment blocks. You can find some classical and also modern villas with a sea view.
- Renting price avg: €300 per month
- Buying price avg: €1000 per square meter
- Your typical neighbor: small town bunch, easygoing families. From local blue collar to white collar that escape the Tallinn offices to their Haapsalu homes in an hour’s drive.
- Why Haapsalu? A classical seaside resort town that has beautiful tree-lined streets and romantic alleys, little cafeterias, spas (first spa established in 1825 A.D.) with special healing mud baths and massage masters.
- History brief: A trading town that became an official bishopric center in 1279 A.D. The town and its surroundings were the center for the Estonian Swedes from the 13th century until the evacuation of almost all ethnic Swedes from Estonia in 1944 when the Soviets occupied Estonia. After 1991 the previous resort tourism flow has been re-established and buildings renovated accordingly.
- Key center: Haapsalu beach and the town’s medieval episcopal castle
- Special events: The Russian Fair (Vene laat) in January, the Scottish Culture Days (Šoti pidu) also in January, the Family Day at the Museum of the Coastal Swedes (pere talvepäev Rannarootsi muuseumis) in February, the Haapsalu Horror and Fantasy Film Festival aka HÕFF (Haapsalu õudus- ja fantaasiafilmide festival) in April, the Italian Wine Festival (Itaalia veinifestival) in June, and so on.