Estonian health insurance is valid for people who work and whose social tax is paid for or who pay the social tax themselves. The validity of the employee’s health insurance is the responsibility of the employer.
People who are legally entitled to health insurance in Estonia:
– employees working under an employment contract;
– recipients of employment or service fees under the contract of the Law of Obligations Act;
– members of the directing body and the controlling body of a legal person;
– sole proprietors and their spouses participating in the activities;
– employees with at least a one-month contract.
When do you become eligible for the national health insurance?
You become eligible for the national health insurance when your place of residence is registered in Estonia and:
- You are working and the necessary social security contributions are paid for you (the minimum social security obligation for the coverage is 155.10 euros);
- You are a non-working spouse of a diplomat or a public servant;
- You are a member of the management board of a legal entity;
- You are a dependent spouse and you have three children up to 16 years of age or at least one child under 8 years of age;
- You are a dependent spouse over 58 years of age;
- You are under 19 years of age;
- You are pregnant;
- You are registered at the Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund as an unemployed person;
- You are a curator of a disabled person;
- You are a member of the management or controlling bodies of legal entities and persons receiving remuneration or service fees on the basis of one or several contract(s) and your minimum social security payment (155.10 euros per month) is paid either by one single entity or by several entities together.
Important to know: the start and termination of your health insurance is related to tax return submissions. Your insurance takes effect after the submission of the tax return and performance of the tax obligation. The insurance stops on the day following the deadline for submission of the next tax return (in case the minimum obligation of the payment of the social tax has not been met).
Read more about the national health insurance on the website of the Estonian Health Insurance Fund.