Skip to content Skip to navigation

Relocating if You and Your Family are EU Citizens

If your family members are EU, EEA or Swiss citizens

There are no restrictions on your family joining you when they are EU, EEA or Swiss citizens.

In case of a short term stay, you and your family do not have to register your stay for the first 3 months. However, they will not receive an Estonian ID card or access to local public services (insurance from the Estonian Health Insurance Fund, registering with a GP, or being able to apply for social support for family) in this case.

If you plan to stay longer, your family has to go through a similar registration process as you to obtain the temporary right of residence and an Estonian ID card.

Check below for some possible arrangements you need to make.

      1. FIND A HOME. Find a home and sign a tenancy agreement with your landlord. The best websites for property search are and Additional information about rental agreements can be found here and here.
      2. REGISTER YOUR PLACE OF RESIDENCE. Register the place of residence of all the family members at your local government service office. The registration data will be submitted into the Estonian Population Register. Read more.
      3. GET AN ID CARD. When you have registered your place of residence, apply for an Estonian ID card at the Police and Border Guard Board. Your ID card will be the document stating your right of residence. Read more.
      4. FIND A SCHOOL/KINDERGARTEN. Contact your local municipality to get more information on school / kindergarten places available. For example, if living in Tallinn, you can contact Tallinn City Education Department. You can see a map of general education schools on the web page of the Ministry of Education and Research.
      5. GET ESTONIAN HEALTH INSURANCE. When your employer pays the social tax from your gross salary you become entitled to social security coverage. After registering your place of residence and the fact of employment with the Employment Register, health insurance by Estonian Health Insurance Fund starts covering your family members as well (if they are eligible). Read more.
      6. FIND A DOCTOR. Register at a GP’s office. You have to submit an  application for each family member to the specific clinic where you want to register. Read more.
      7. PARTICIPATE IN THE WELCOMING PROGRAM. After you obtain the right of residence, the Police and Border Guard office will inform your family members (if they are also non-Estonian nationals and have lived in Estonia for less than five years) about the Welcoming program. You can find all the information on the program on the website. Read more.
      8. APPLY FOR SOCIAL SERVICES THAT YOU NEED OR ARE ENTITLED TO. After moving to Estonia with your family you are also entitled to child and family support, and to the benefits provided by the Estonian Social Insurance Board. Read more about the benefits in the Social Care section.
      9. LOOK FOR A JOB. Should your spouse be looking for a job, he or she can use one of these options. If needed, he or she can register with the Unemployment Insurance Fund to get additional support with the job search or trainings.